Tuesday 31 January 2012

The relationship between points

If there are two isolated objects in the frame, two points, the basic simplicity of the situation is lost.  Find normally occurring situations in which there are two points, then compose and take pictures without preconceptions.  Assess each image, making a note of which point is the strongest.  Then take another picture of someones face, go close up to include only the eyes, ensure the eyes are evenly balanced within the frame, also make an assessment of the finished photograph.

Finding the right subjects for this exercise was not too difficult, I had taken about half a dozen photographs that fitted the requirement.  That does not mean they were all good enough to use nor had sufficient thought been given when taking them.  I have included all the pictures below, I have then chosen two that I feel fit the requirement of this exercise, not for their image quality.







You could say that the relationship in this photograph is obvious, and not what I saw, when taking the photograph, two separate things, the dog and the two people, two points.  When I look at the picture now, my eye goes from the dog to the people and back again, which I would expect.  The image seems well balanced, even though the subjects are of different sizes, also there is an impression of movement with just enough room for them to go into.  Unlike the jet ski in the previous exercise which had too much empty space top and bottom, I don't feel it is a problem in this picture.  The couple following the dog are obviously the dominant point, apart from the size difference, the man is wearing a red coat, this makes him stand out above anything else.  I picked this image as having two points, the dog and it's owners, because  there is space between them. It would not have worked as well, had the dog been on a lead.  However it could be argued that they are obviously a single group and therefore do not fit in this exercise.




I feel this image relies on colour to make the two main subjects (points) stand out, obviously there is a vast difference in  their size, therefore the joggers fluorescent jacket, is very important.  Even though this picture seems to fit the requirement of this exercise, it does not work as well as the previous photograph.  Maybe it's the railings forming a barrier, if I look away for a moment then look back at the image I immediately see the runner and lighthouse, however after a few seconds my eyes focus on the railings again thus spoiling the composition.  Perhaps this photograph should not have been picked for this exercise.




This is Dempsey, my neighbours greyhound, he has the most amazing eyes, perfect for this exercise.  They are very hypnotic and when seen in isolation, somewhat scary and slightly menacing.  I have looked at the above photograph for some time, it is almost impossible to look anywhere else but into his eyes.  I believe this to be a very strong image, completely different to the other photographs in this exercise.  Positioning the eyes symmetrically within the frame is its strength, it would not have worked had this not been the case.  I have included a "head and shoulders" shot of Dempsey, which shows how friendly he really is, this I feel shows the importance the composition has in the photograph showing only his eyes.


Dempsey dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment