Wednesday 18 January 2012

Project: Points.

                                             Positioning a point.


Following on from my earlier postings I must knuckle down to Elements of design.  I have spent a long time
trying to find somewhere or something to give the assignment and the different exercises some form of association or link. Getting this blog going has been a very steep learning curve for me and has taken some time.  Time that I didn't really have to spare, I do however believe that it will be very beneficial in the long run also so much quicker than the way I compiled the first assignment, using Photoshop and Word.  The exercise of positioning a point was not to difficult.  Being a member of a camera club where you hear competition judges criticise your picture's, because the main subject is in the wrong place telling you if only you'd moved to the left or to the right, how much better the composition would have been. Even though that might have meant standing in the middle of a fast flowing river, judges can be very frustrating.


Take three photographs in which there is a single point, position it in a different part of the frame in each example.  With a short note, justify the composition of each photograph.

Starting with the photographs that were taken with this exercise in mind.  I have then included pictures found in my library which I feel have specific points, however some that may not fit the brief.  As suggested in the introduction to this exercise, I considered what might be classed as the point of an image, and came up with following.  A solitary person on the beach or grass area, a plane in a clear blue sky, someone wearing brightly coloured clothes, a light or lamp in an overall dark scene, a shaft of sunlight, highlighting a small area in a landscape,something white, again as part of a darker image, contrasting colours for example a red door on a white painted cottage.




The photographs here are my interpretation of positioning a point.  The jet ski being central in the frame, makes this a poor image, there is too much empty space top and bottom.  The ski needs room to move into, while the wake behind it shows speed and movement.  This image would be improved by cropping down to a letter box format as I have done below.  It is still not perfect, if only the jet ski had been red.






The point in the next picture I think is fairly obvious, the lifebuoy being red, stands out. It's position at the very edge of the frame, I don't feel is too much of a  problem.  The composition of this image is quite strong, even though it does not comply with the "rule of thirds".  The gap in the wall along with the railings
are helping to balance the photograph so maybe this is not just a single point, however the red ring is still the strongest element.  I wondered if a monochrome image would still work.  I don't think it does, Iv'e included it below for comparison.







In the last photograph I have tried to position the subject around a third of the way in from edge of the frame.  The point, a jogger, is moving into the image, he is wearing a bright yellow jacket, this like the red ring in the previous picture, stands out because of the strong colour.  Again I converted it to monochrome for comparison, this still works quite well, as the runners jacket is now white, this also stands out well.  This picture should have the best composition, if you follow the rule of thirds, however the overall image is not very good. Had the jogger been running towards the camera, this would be a much better picture, so I prefer the lifebuoy.


                 The photographs below,  have been picked out because they have specific points.







No comments:

Post a Comment