Wednesday 29 August 2012

The colour Yellow.

Since starting the Art of Photography course, the style and content of my photographs has completely changed .  For example I would always try to avoid having people in my pictures, wrongly assuming they would spoil the image I was seeking.  Of course most of the photographs were boring records of something equally boring.  Now I photograph almost anything, and since beginning this section, anything coloured and with any combination of colours.  I actively seek out people to include in my pictures and have found that if I wait a little while the right person will come along.  More often than not a scene that was a bit mundane can become interesting, exciting even.   I am doing nothing more than "street photography".  I know it's all been done before, but not by me, I'm getting a real buzz from it.  There have been many times when I've wondered if the course was worth it, and some would question if it was value for money.  If I was being honest then no it isn't.  On the other hand would I be getting a buzz from my photographs without doing it, again if I'm being honest, most certainly, NO.  Enough waffling, the reason for this post is the colour yellow and some of my attempts at this "street photography".  It all started with a yellow cone in the Bull Ring in Birmingham, then noticing that the colour matched some of the carrier bags people had, there was even a match with a woman's jacket.   This got me started looking for colour matches wherever I went as well as photographing other cones, which can be seen from the pictures below.


Bull Ring, Birmingham.





London's South Bank.








Blackheath.

The photographs in London were taken during the Olympics, I believe the cones around the South Bank were part of an art project, they were everywhere.  The picture at Blackheath was taken at 7am the morning after the opening ceremony.  Lewisham council had put up a big screen for the whole of the games, the night before, thousands of people had been on the Heath watching it.  The scene above was what was left behind, by 9am every bit had been cleaned up, a credit to the council workers involved.  I've included below a photograph taken the previous night, because I had to expose at 0.5sec f8 at 1600asa, the quality was not very good.




No comments:

Post a Comment