Sunday 12 May 2013

A Very Sad Day.

BENJI
11th March 1997 - 8th May 2013


Memories are Golden


They say memories are golden.
Well, maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories
I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,
a million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you.
You never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
in death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway
and heartache make a lane.
I'd walk the path to heaven
and bring you home again.

Our family chain is broken
and nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us one by one,
the chain will link again.

                                                                                             Author unknown.

Benji was sixteen when the very difficult decision had to be taken that it was time to let him go to doggie heaven.  I'm sure that some who read this will think 'its only a DOG!  That is true but I also know that if you've had and loved a dog or any pet for that matter, then you will understand how my wife and I feel at the moment.

Red Dwarf was the name given to Benji when he was born, I guess because he was the smallest of the litter.  He soon grew to be slightly bigger than most Border Terriers, developing a personality to match.  A more laid back dog you couldn't have wished for but when he got on the trail of something, a rabbit or sqirrel for example, he'd be off, ignoring all calls for him to come back.  He enjoyed swimming but had to be kept on a lead because just like chasing rabbits, he didn't know when to turn round.  Benji wasn't active all the time, I described him earlier being laid back, he could be very happy sitting on a river bank or doing his favorite passtime, trainspotting.  He loved trains, always wanting to be picked up so that he could look over the wall of a bridge when one went under.

I've chosen some photographs that show Benji doing the things we will always remember him for, just a sample of the happy memories he has left us with.




Benji  always in our thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment