Sunday 3 March 2013

Exercise:- Juxtaposition.

"For this exercise choose either the still-life approach or a larger scale shot, which involves choosing viewpoint and lens focal length.  If the latter, photograph someone with a possession, or the result of their work or hobby".

I've abbreviated the guidance notes for this exercise because I already had images on file which had been taken with juxtaposition in mind.  This style of picture taking, if it is a style, is something I have been doing for some time without realising that it had a name.  Looking back through the course book I have been making images with elements of juxtaposition in them from the first assignment, "Contrasts".

The photograph I have chosen for this exercise is my favourite, it is I hope subtle enough so as not to be  obvious.  This scene is well documented by the tourists, hundreds of times a day probably.  I have myself photographed it on numerous occasions, always trying to get something a bit different.  Very often this 'beggar' has been sat in this same spot.  Even when given some loose change he doesn't want his picture taken so I decided to take it from behind.  I noticed how people moved to one side, trying to avoid both eye contact with him and then not have to give him money.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really good picture Dad, well done. Although he's almost in the middle of the bridge he looks totally disconnected with the rest of the people/picture.

    ReplyDelete